Did you know…?
- A smoke alarm could save you in a fire.
- Around 90 people die each year because they do not have a working smoke alarm.
- Most fires start when people are cooking.
- Every 3 days someone dies from a fire started by a cigarette.
- Broken electrics start about 7,000 fires a year.
- Many people killed in house fires are asleep at the time.
More about Home Safety
In Greater Manchester we are committed to reducing fire deaths by ensuring that every home in the county has a working smoke alarm. To make certain this happens, we now carry out FREE Home Safety Checks, which may include the fitting of FREE smoke alarms.
When you book a Home Safety Check, we will visit your home at an allocated time and accompany you around every room in your property with the aim of:
- Identifying and making you aware of the potential fire risks in your home
- Making sure you know what to do in order to reduce or prevent these risks
- Helping you put together an escape plan in case a fire breaks out in the future
- Ensuring you have a working smoke alarm and if you don't, we may fit a FREE ten year smoke alarm.
We have already fitted over 200,000 free smoke alarms in local communities throughout Greater Manchester.
So what are you waiting for?
A smoke alarm is the easiest way to alert you and your loved ones should a fire start in your home - giving you precious time to escape. Why not add yourself to the list. Help us to help you click here for a home safety check.