Fire Safety Enforcement Advice
In partnership with Local Authority Building Control officers we ensure that:
- Building plans meet the necessary fire safety standards to ensure that the people using these new buildings are safe in the event of fire.
- Inspect (Audit) commercial premises on a risk basis ensuring compliance with the current fire safety legislation.
- Undertake particular inspections when required an example would be ensuring the use of fireworks in nightclubs is forbidden. (after a recent incident in Russia).
- We give Support to our fire crews on fire safety issues.
- Deal with public houses licensing applications.
- Deal with complaints on a wide variety of fire safety issues.
This time of year
- We undertake pre Christmas inspections of premises occupied by large numbers of the public e.g. large shops, stores shopping centres etc.
- Check out major event fire safety requirements
- Arrange themed visits for operational crews such as checking the means of escape in aged persons homes and nursing homes.
Areas to be considered over the festive season
- Overcrowding of public bars
- Blocked means of escape due to security issues
- High build up of combustible materials (Cardboard packaging etc)
- Obscuration of fire fighting equipment by decorations
- Ensure decorations are not obscuring signage
- Ensure decorations will not prevent smoke detection actuation
- Advice on arson prevention matters
- Overloading of electrical sockets due to additional requirements
- Use of candles
- Use of fireworks.
All fire safety matters (complaints) should be forwarded to the nearest fire station who will contact a fire safety officer if required. Find your local fire station on the GMFRS website.